Tuesday 10 January 2017

Subject Object - FIRST ATTEMPT

For this project, I chose to look at an article about a man who went around UK supermarkets sticking pro-vegan stickers under non-vegan foods to bring awareness. My intention with this poster for now is to make people aware that preaching doesn't necessarily allow other people to understand your point. Sticking stickers around under products that people are used to and know to be healthy is going to change nothing and can even provoke people in to being more anti-vegan.




Due to being ill, I couldn't go in to uni on my first day back which sucked. I asked a few friends and printed off the brief and tasks and have tried to catch up. I began by reading my article and brainstorming ideas to find keywords within the news article and what its about.



 



------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POSTERS

I really enjoyed the task today. We had to look at our brainstorms and key words then make things with coloured paper to assemble in to posters later. I had no idea where I was going with this and ended up making a paper knife, cow, slice of meat, blood, grass, a pig and various other vegan-related objects. I wanted to create posters that educate people rather than shove veganism in to their face but I realised just how hard that is today. Most of my posters naturally ended up being quite preachy.
I found this task very helpful because it gave me an idea of what my final poster may look like without any pressure.


This one was the only poster that I really liked apart from the very cliche 'Go Green' text. I might make a few more examples of this and see where it goes. The tutors seemed to agree that this wasn't as direct as maybe the next poster below. Nicolas said to maybe make the brain less 'meaty' so I might try another one where I don't colour the brain in or maybe just draw the outline of a brain and put all the focus on the growth of greenery.

I love this. I won't be using it for my final poster but I really love it aesthetically. I really spent a while making that piece of meat. It's extremely direct so it won't work with the message I'm trying to bring with my poster.

\
Again this one is another very direct example. I drew a smiling cow with the words 'Dinner' above him. I don't particularly like the way this one looks as it was the most rushed however, I feel like if I were to make it again, it could be quite nice. This still isn't one I will use in my final piece though.


For this, I tried to focus on the 'educating' part of my intention as oppose to the 'vegan' but completely missed the whole point of showing veganism. Nobody that sees this will think its about eating a plant-based diet or even food for that matter. Also, I prefer 'Teach don't preach'.

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!