Tuesday 31 January 2017

Author Genesis - British Museum & Hunterian Museum

I decided to spend today looking at some museums that would be relevant to my work. I first went to the British museum because they have a huge selection of masks and costumes specifically in the Africa section. They also have Ancient Egyptian cats. I'm a bit stuck for ideas for this costume. I'm not very good at designing creatures from my head without having something to look at in front of me. Nor am I great at making things 3D so I've been finding it quite difficult to come up with something related to my five words. I don't want to show my 5 words in my costume literally but want to take elements from the words and use them as inspiration to create something quite abstract but still recognisable/realistic in form.

I really liked this 3D form below. Although it is very abstract, you can still make out a face and a being. I like the combination of materials used like the contrast of the rusty metal and the plant like green strands coming out almost like hair.





I couldn't see many cats which is strange because I thought the cat played a big part in Ancient Egypt. I did find a few sculptures and bought some cat postcards to help me with my research. I didn't find them particularly inspiring but they could help when it comes to making my 3D being since I might use a cat-like face on my costume.

I sketched a few cats and some things I found interesting or costume-like in the Africa section:




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!