Thursday 19 January 2017

Subject Object - Typography

For this workshop, we had to bring in 10 objects related to our subject matter. I bought in a plastic knife, banana, orange, make up powder, medication and money.

We had to create all 26 letters of the alphabet with these objects in various ways. I started by experimenting with painting directly on to my objects to create shapes e.g, for the 'P' I used my orange to create the circular part. I then used the side of the knife to draw my straight letters.
I painted on to my banana to create larger letters, I put objects down and painted over them to create white letters with inky backgrounds, I used my objects as stencils and drew around them.

This was probably my favourite workshop so far. I ended up making all 26 letters without being bored or distracted and would love to do a task like this again. I didn't realise how many beautiful typefaces I could create with only ink and pieces of fruit. 


These are some of my favourite letters:






The next part of the task was to use these letters as inspiration and create words or phrases relevant to our posters. Im still not sure about my final piece so I used the posters I made in the previous workshop as my inspiration for words. This task was also very useful. I'm going to start combining my words with some of my poster drawings to see what kind of font would work best for my final.





Finally, we made a quick ink painting of what our final posters may look like. I combined my brain drawing from Monday and some of the typeface skills I learned today to make mine.






No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!