Wednesday 2 November 2016

Palimpsest - Final Postcards

The first task was to experiment with different ways of creating a 'sense of place' of Spitalfields market and ending up with a set of 6 postcards. I began by looking at my sketches from the museum and from Spitalfields then trying to re-draw the ones I liked most.





I wasn't really sure where I was going with it at this point and found the idea of making 'postcards' a little bit confusing. I tried to experiment with colour and watercolour paints to create backgrounds. I zoomed in to details in outfits, photocopied and used fine liner to see how different ways of mark-making would look for my final postcards.






I'm not usually big on colour but something about Spitalfields market and looking back at my sketches made me want to use a very colourful background with detailed drawings. I think its because its such a trendy/fashionable area and there are so many different kinds of people. I wanted to make something quite vibrant and playful.

I decided to use a sponge and watercolour paints for my backgrounds. I put 6 A5 sheets together so that the postcards were joined, waited for them to dry and re-drew some of my drawings.

These are the final cards:







OVERALL
I was experimental with these postcards. I tried to make something more minimal on the first one and towards the end used collage which I really liked the outcome of. I couldn't attend the actual workshop so I think I found this quite hard to understand and do at home. I don't know if Ive gone about it correctly but I did find it enjoyable. 

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!