Thursday 17 November 2016

ANN - Camberwell college & South London art gallery project

This is 3/4 of our small projects and is related to the history of our university and the South London Art Gallery which is next door to the Camberwell building.

For this project, I started off by making 30 rubbings inside and outside of the university and around my own area. I didn't find this task very interesting however, I never really thought about using textures from walls, bricks and objects before and this gave me a good idea for collages.
Even though the rubbings didn't look like much at the beginning, I wanted to start drawing and building on them.


I then made a few drawings of the university and the gallery in my sketchbook. I've never been a huge perspective/building drawer so this part of the project wasn't very interesting to me.  This first drawing below was the only one I felt happy with as its so minimal and I tried to use different line weights.



I then started to draw directly on to the rubbings to add texture and colour and see if I could create anything interesting with the combination of the two. I do like the outcomes of these.
In the first drawing, I used nothing but a felt tip pen to draw the most obvious lines on the university building.
In the second, I used a rubbing for the background of my collage and cut out shapes of the buildings and gates of the university to layer together in different colours. I then added a few lines for further detail.



So far, I've enjoyed certain parts of this project and liked others less. I have enjoyed trying to do more perspective and building drawings as I struggle with those the most. 


No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!