Thursday 13 October 2016

The Parallel Museum Pt2 - V&A Museum

For the second part of this project we went to the V&A museum. The task was to fill a page in our sketchbooks for these categories: legs, arms, heads, surfaces, patterns, shadows and columns.

I enjoyed this task a lot even though I couldn't finish all of my drawings on that day. Again, I'm still in the process of learning how to draw faster without being too precious about it.




The next task was to make 6 blind drawings.


Drawings with no outlines, focusing only on areas of colour or tone.



Drawing from memory.


Drawing with a ruler.



Reproducing an objects texture / surface pattern.


  REFLECTING:

I found todays task really eye-opening. I focused on things I'd usually walk past, found different ways to represent ideas (drawings the legs & arms of a chair as oppose to a person) and experimented with different drawing methods.
The drawing in tone only task was particularly challenging as it was so tempting to draw lines. I hated each drawing at the beginning but love them now as it allowed me to expand beyond my usual skills.

HOMEWORK:

Using the drawings from the museums as inspiration, I drew a room in an imagined museum from a parallel universe or new dimension. I really, really enjoyed this homework task. I usually draw from observation and tend to draw people so it was challenging at the beginning. I started off with drawing rough ideas of whatever popped in to my head in my sketchbook and spent some time looking through my museum drawings to gain inspiration.
I usually stick to flat drawings using only one or two mediums so I really wanted to experiment with minimal black fine liner drawing and use collage and colour as well. I kept the base/background quite  plain using only two colours and got in to more detail as the objects came closer to give the illusion of perspective in a room.



I then re-interpreted this drawing in to something more minimal and a little sinister for my lino prints. I knew I wanted to use lino for this because I love the free hand scratchy look that you get with lino prints. I experimented with different coloured block inks and printing on to different colours & materials to see what kind of rooms I could come up with.




I found the Buddhist/Hindu section of the V&A intriguing and created different fine liner drawings from objects I photographed at the museum. I used the museum objects as inspiration, adding my own style and details. I also made another series of lino prints collaging together some of my drawings from the museum:




I definitely wasn't happy with the lino outcome as it lost a lot of its detail and quality. I think it could be interesting to see how I could improve these by maybe drawing on top of them or collaging them as theres definitely something missing.




No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!