Sunday 23 October 2016

REPORTAGE

For this new project, we started off with having to choose 3 illustrators we liked the work of and talking about why we liked their work. I chose Paul Hogarth, Lucinda Rogers & George Grosz.

PART 1:

PAUL HOGARTH



These are more conventional pieces. Hogarth has used a range of materials to capture the detail of his observations in the first work. His work is very detailed in certain areas and minimal in others which gives it a sense of narrative.


LUCINDA ROGERS



I love the use of thin and thick lines in Rogers' work. It creates a deeper sense of perspective. Everything looks very free-hand and effortless almost as if she wasn't fussed about creating a 'pretty' final image but just recording everything she could see.


GEORGE GROSZ



What I love about Grosz' work is that he doesn't draw from one perspective but takes different elements of what he sees to create one big illustration. I think its interesting that his work gives us a sense of time and movement as oppose to the conventional flat piece that looks like its been drawn from a photograph.

PART 2:

The second part of the task was to sit in an outdoor environment where we felt mostly at home and create a series of illustrations using different media and methods.
I decided to sit in the outdoor part of Starbucks in Camden as its a place I've been going to since I was a teenager and has a nice canal view with the Dingwalls building.
I started off with a fine liner and felt tip drawing using different line weights.


I then decided to experiment with watercolour to have less control of my drawing. I found this really frustrating and didn't enjoy painting it or the outcome.


It got really cold outside so I decided to sit inside a random cafe in my local area and do a quick drawing in there using a felt tip pen. 


I decided to give the watercolours another go only this time I used fine liner as well. I loved the outcome of this. I left the left side of the drawing blank to bring out the perspective and added minimal detail.





No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!