Wednesday 28 February 2018

UNIT 8 - Storytelling - Research

We're making stories based on and in South London. Automatically, I know I want to end up with something handmade (either a book or a game) because I find those the most motivating.
I've started my research by looking at some of the references listed in the brief to get an idea of storytelling and the different ways it can be done.

Geoff already introduced kamishibai to us during our lecture which is an interesting method I'd never seen before. It's a Japanese method involving an illustrated story and a mini stage device where somebody narrates the story using the illustrations.
I really like the video we watched in class. Even though I didn't understand a word, I found it really funny.



I also found the Cambodian shadow theatre shows really interesting. I don't particularly want to perform my piece but I do like the cutout designs in these.


Its really nice that there are many different ways to tell stories including performances, dance, singing, theatre, even paintings, games and 3D models.
I made a game last year which I found really enjoyable so I might make something like that for this project. I've been looking at various puzzle books and activity books because I think this is the approach I want to take.



I like the idea of an adults activity book and think its helpful for de-stressing and letting out your inner child. I think I could give this back to South London quite well.


I looked through my primer and have decided that I want to create an activity/puzzle booked based on the Old Dispensary pub and the people in it. The old drunk man with his dog was the most interesting I found during this primer and think it would be cool to make a humorous adults activity book. I think it will work because it'll be interactive, it will tell a story and be based in south London.

I've found some adult activity books to get some ideas.










No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!